Tuesday, May 19, 2009

i like me some revelation.


"Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord you labor is not in vain".
-1 Corinthians 15:58

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so I'm sitting here this morning reading my bible. Skipping around, not reading anything really in particular...it's funny because I'm usually pretty well focused when it comes to reading but I realize how willing my spirit is, and how weak my flesh is when I open up my Bible. I become pretty distracted relatively easily.

None-the-less, I just read Psalm 147 and I'm really loving it, especially this part:

"...He covers the heavens with clouds, prepares rain for the earth, makes grass grown on the hills. He gives to the animals their food, and to the young ravens when they cry. His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor His pleasure in the speed of a runner; but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, in those who hope in His steadfast love."
-Psalm 147:8-11

I am a girl who must write as I revelate. Is revelate a word? If it isn't, it sure is now.
So I'm really loving this thing about the Lord "preparing" rain, "making" grass grow, "giving" food to the animals. I love how those verbs are used. As I read that, I started to realize that so many times we look at God and think He just waves around this little magic wand all the time and *poof*'s His way through all our (measly) situations...but if you read that and think about it I really think it's more like well Yes, He does have this ultimate unlimited power because He's GOD, but on the other hand He isn't some unpassionate, not caring, indifferent being...rather He's so caring and loving and thoughtful that He doesn't just go "Yeah, ok whatever...rain rain rain. Whateverrrrr here's some grass...Ugh. Food. There ya go guys."
no
He PREPARES the rain. He crafts it, makes it come in it's due time, always thinks on it, sends it for us. Sends the rain for the land. Prepares the rain for the land. Spends some of His time using His own hands to send something like rain...
He MAKES the grass grow. Maybe He coaxes it sometimes? Maybe He takes each little seed for every little blade, and lays it perfectly in a row, or sprinkles it fondly on the hillsides, pats it down to make sure that it sticks and is comfortable in the soil. Maybe He speaks to it, since His spoken word is action and power. Maybe He watches it's progress...maybe He really likes St. Augustine grass.
He GIVES the animals, us included, food. He responds to the cry of His people. He knows what they need and doesn't just throw it at them or magically transport it to them, No, He GIVES to them, He gives to us.

I really love this. I don't know how anyone else is understanding this but it's just a big thing for me. I mean, that's love. A God that isn't indifferent? That's love. A God that thinks upon us and doesn't just respond because He CAN but responds because He loves us deeply---that is what our God is.

Wow.




No comments:

Post a Comment